- Business Rules
7 Hour SAFE Core: Essentials
The 7 Hour SAFE Core: Essentials course meets SAFE Act continuing education requirements for licensed entities through analysis and introspection of ethical behavior, compliance essentials covered in the federal laws component and the nontraditional lending component provides an overview of the Veteran’s Administration (VA) lending program.
In the 3-hour federal laws component of the course, our comparison of fair lending regulations and the role they play in mortgage lending provides a foundation for compliance. The component includes review of the Fair Housing Act, the Equal Credit Opportunity Act, the Fair Credit Reporting Act as well as the Truth-in-Lending Act, and Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act. The ethics component provides ethical mortgage scenarios to reinforce expected behaviors essential to federal compliance while highlighting personal responsibility. Recognizing and embodying ethical behavior by defining ethics and examining our own values and beliefs. The component explores both personal and business ethics. Finally, the nontraditional component explores VA lending, including programs, borrower eligibility, and property eligibility.
Please note that the SAFE Act specifically prohibits the taking of the same course in successive years.
Upon completion of this course, you should be able to:
3 Hour Federal Law: Fair Housing Act, Equal Credit Opportunity Act, Fair Credit Reporting Act and TILA/RESPA (155 minutes)
- Explore the Fair Housing Act to prevent discrimination in mortgage lending (45 minutes)
- Explain the Equal Credit Opportunity Act’s requirements for lender notifications and interactions with customers (50 minutes)
- Detail the purpose of the Fair Credit Reporting Act including the duties that a business has toward consumers and their credit information (40 minutes)
- Review important safeguards of the Truth-in-Lending Act (TILA) and the Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act (RESPA) (10 minutes)
- Case Studies (10 minutes)
2 Hour Ethics: Ethical Practices (100 minutes)
- Introduction to ethics (50 minutes)
- MLO ethical responsibilities (50 minutes)
2 Hour Nontraditional: Veteran’s Administration Home Loan Program (100 minutes)
- Identify the benefits of VA loans (25 minutes)
- Calculate the maximum mortgage amount under various circumstances (30 minutes)
- Identify the income requirements and standards for VA home loans (20 minutes)
- Recognize the basics of VA credit and property standards (25 minutes)
Each self-paced, self-study course examines a particular topic, allowing students to hone in on a focused set of learning concepts. Each course is designed with learning objectives, comprehensive course materials, learning reinforcement activities that appeal to various learning styles and real-world examples, with audio and/or video recordings of industry experts.
The final exam is completed online with instant grading, and you can download your industry-recognized certificate of completion after you successfully pass the course. This course will take no less than one hour to complete.
Tuition and Registration
This course satisfies one hour of NMLS-approved Continuing Education training as an elective. Tuition for this course is $175.00 and includes the Credit Banking and Admin Fee applicable to this course.
Students have until December 31 in the year in which the course is purchased to complete the course. You may complete the course at any time during this period. However, course providers are afforded seven calendar days to credit the student’s NMLS account following successful completion of the course. It is strongly advised that you complete the course at least one week prior to the December 31 deadline.
NOTE: The SAFE Act specifically prohibits the taking of the same course in successive years.
For more information or to register by phone, call your Regional Account Executive at (800) 848-4904 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.